Friday, August 27, 2004

The Magical Mr. Tomko

After spending months not updating, I decided to use this blog for something I'll update a lot more frequently on: The San Francisco Giants.

For those not in the know (both of my imaginary readers) The Giants currently stand 71-58, 4 games behind the Dodgers in the NL West, 1 game behind the Cubbies for the NL Wild Card, and 1 game above the Padres in all things.

Last night, in Florida, Brett Tomko pitched his first major league shutout, dominating the Marlins 5-0. Seeing that happen (on the Internet, at least) reminded me that Tomko first came to my attention as part of a hot, young, Seattle rotation that was going to rule the world. Gil Meche. Freddie Garcia. Ryan Anderson. Brett Tomko. These were the young studs of the system. And Tomko was often mentioned by scouts as one of the best.

So what happened? How'd he go from up-and-coming Superstar to journeyman who has somehow managed to obtain a winning record for this season? I dunno. I know that when we signed Tomko, I thought to myself "Cool. He's gonna break out and have the season folks have been predicting." And he did. And started, like, 1-4 or 1-5. That's the season everyone has been predicting. Last night he reminded everyone why he was once thought of as a future star. But the rest of this season, he has reminded everyone of why he's a journeyman.

Eh. He's just keeping a rotation spot warm for Cain.

In Other News:

My film, the one I wrote and got produced, is available. You can rent it at Blockbuster. You can rent it at Hollywood Video. You can rent it from Netflix, or find it on Amazon. I get a piece of the backend, so go see it. Both of you. It's called The Eliminator. Starring Michael Rooker and Bas Rooten. Go have a few beers, pop it in and enjoy yourself. It's no work of art, but it's no Pluto Nash either.

No news on any of my other scripts. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: